Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A Mother's Love

 
Our last visit with Grammy...on Jaunary 29th.

Recently, time has unexpectedly stopped in its tracks.  It is with a heavy heart that I share that my mom passed away suddenly on February 24th.  One moment you are eating dinner with your husband, daughter and sister-in-law, and the next moment you can barely breathe.  It was that quickly that life showed its fragility...and changed forever. 

Grammy and Papa came for an over night stay last summer.

Words escape me.  There is so much I want to say about my Mom.  It seems important that I honor her here, as she  loved that I wrote this blog.  She  was quite possibly  its biggest fan.  It pains me to write this  and know she is no longer here to read it.  Living two hours apart from one another, this blog was one of the many ways that I shared  Lucy with her.  My Mom favored displaying her love for others through her actions;  one of the many ways she did this for me was by helping with this blog.  She helped set it up, published posts while I was in China, contributed through comments and occasional guest posts, and sent me cell pictures that I had taken and sent her, so that I could post them here.  Her hand print is all over these pages, not just by how she helped, but by how she inspired me and encouraged me.  Quite possibly one of the hardest parts about all of this is that Lucy will not know Grammy and all her tender, thoughtful, giving ways. 



Grammy loved to read to Lucy.

As I have been going through this immeasurable loss, I have learned many things about my Mom.  This is what has been sustaining me,  inspiring me and humbling me.  For example, she did some freelance writing on the web.  I never knew about this, nor did my siblings, as my mom was not one to boast or draw attention to herself. Her creative spirit, humor and literary expertise shines through in her writing.  Now these articles are like tiny little presents that I can open each day.   Thank you, Mom. 

She did so much to help others, and sacrificed so much for her children and grandchildren.  In these past  two weeks , my family  has learned through each other, and my mom's friends, the extent of her humility and love;  the enormity of it has  been overwhelming to me.  I view what I have learned about my  Mom as graces that God has been showering me with to help me cope.   I must remember to keep looking and listening for these graces, as they are truly gifts from above.
At a baby shower for Lucy that was given by my Mom's friends.

One of those graces was given to me on Monday this week.  As I was going through my Mom's email (to finalize/close things up) I noticed one form DaySpring, a Christian-based website.  My mom must have subscribed to their weekly devotionals.  Here is what showed up in her inbox for me to read :

Hope as You Start a New Week...

Hello You...
the one welcoming a new week and wondering what it holds.
I don't know.
But I'm certain of this-there's One who holds us.
And He promises nothing is impossible for you.
Not that mountain you're facing.
Not that task you're dreading.
Not that decision you're afraid to make.

He may not tell us the details of what's to come
but He reminds us of what's ours no matter what...
Victory.
A future.
A plan that's as good as He is.

Always.

You're Loved...
More than you know.
More than you see.
Deeper than you've dared to dream.
All you fear that might hold you back
has been wiped away, forgiven,
covered up by grace.
The One who created you,
knows you, calls you his own,
looks at you with love
and says, "You're mine forever."
Your heart has a home
and it's not a place
but a Person who will never let you go.

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

I read this and thought:  Mom is still talking to me.  
One year ago, when we were home for St. Patrick's Day

There is so much more that I want to say.   But for now, this is what felt right to express.  I imagine more will come in the weeks and months to come.  Thanks to all of you who have reached out to me, sent cards or are praying.  It means so much, and provides great comfort.
She was always so happy when she was with Lucy.

Mom, you will forever be in our hearts.  We will strive to be like you.  We love you always.

1 comment:

Grammy Pam said...

Hi Karen,
After reading your touching tribute to your Mom, I felt the urge to leave a comment – finally! I must confess I’ve been reading your blog as well as several others for over a year now, and this is the first time I have left a comment. I have faithfully followed your journey and have been so moved by your story. It is clear that you are a wonderful mother and that Christ is the center of your life.
Your dear Mom would be so proud of you and the eloquent way you expressed your thoughts and feelings. I can imagine writing it was one of the most difficult things you’ve ever had to do.
Ironically, I, too, subscribe to DaySpring Devotions and Holley Gerth is one of my favorite writers. Her poem, “Hope as You Start a New Week” was one that I saved and printed because it was so encouraging. I even forwarded it to others.
I am saddened that your Mom will miss being part of Lucy’s childhood. Yet I know she lives on through you, Lisa, Ray, as well as the rest of the family.
Many of my favorite, hand-made Christmas decorations were given to me by your Mom. Lots of my best recipes came from - your Mom – Texas sheet cake, Hungarian coffee cake, and of course, Easter bread, just to name a few. One thing I know for sure, she will be baking Easter bread in heaven this year – and that is the greatest place to be!!
Blessings,
Pam McFarland