Monday, January 13, 2014

What's New Around Here?


Can you tell?  Do you know?  What is new?  What is different?


Maybe you will guess that it is Lindsay? I guess I could technically take that as an answer, since yes, she is typically not here with us and could be construed as "new."    But that is a stretch... and you would be wrong.  She was just here this past weekend for a quick visit; we took her for a college tour at Xavier.

 

Lucy sticking her tongue out?   New?  No way...been doing it for awhile---against the constant redirection of her parents, mind you.  (And no, she has not been watching Miley Cyrus.  No way.  No how.)


Yes, that building behind Lindsay, on XU's campus: new.  And amazing, might I add.  It is the new dining hall for students.  (Voted #1 dining among middle sized schools in the country.)  


Lindsay's shoes are new....Her mama got them for her for Christmas.   But still not the answer I am looking for.



Lindsay looking scholarly and like she belongs on a college campus?  Not new.  She not only looks scholarly, but is. (Did I mention her current 3.8 gpa?)


Okay Okay.....a clue:  candid shots like this didn't used to take.



this is one of my fave pics
and so is this one...


Another clue:  anyone is my subject.  Even clueless little Greyson, who is our neighbor's friendly cat (and likes our deck more than we do, I think).....and,


including Brian, who is going to be so sick of me by the time it is all said and done.

 
Okay, if you haven't figured it out by now...well, I don't know what to say.   Yes, Santa finally delivered and brought me my new camera.


Moments like these-- this sunrise--used to only be appreciated in my mind...never by my camera.  I raced home from the gym this morning with great anticipation to try out my new toy...Breathtaking.


What I can now say --with 100% certainty --(it was at about 90% before) is how amazing and impressive skilled photographers are.   There is so much that goes into capturing a good photo.  I have only begun, and these pictures are just my baseline...I know there is sooo much more and these photos aren't great.  For the 10-15 photos that are here and are sharable, there were about 200 that I deleted.  But subjects like her...

...they are just going to make the journey to learning that much more enjoyable and rewarding.  

A side note:  Thanks to two fellow bloggers, Beth (at "be yourself eveyone else is taken") and Summer (at "running chatter") who helped me tremendously in choosing the right camera.  And for their inspiration.  If you want to see some fantastic photography, as well as creative, humorous and real writing, check out their blogs. 

And thank you to my first victims subjects, for indulging me this weekend with my "photo shoot": Lindsay and Lucy Lou, and Brian.

For now:  beware.  If you are in my presence, you will be victim subject to my new obsession.   Be patient please!

2 comments:

beth said...

wow....how fun and the photos are looking great....oh, and you are so welcome!!

now just wait until i get you hooked on LR to edit your photos. being a photographer never stops...LOL

Diane said...

Great pictures, Karen! Enjoy your new "toy". Diane