Thursday, January 8, 2015

Full



Our hearts are full.   

After a wonderful December, with many special events, the transition to a dull and coooold first week of January has been a bit jarring.  Lucy has experienced a bit of a, shall we call it, "deflation period."  After my repeated "no" response to her when she asks if there is a package in the mail for her, or my "no" response to her that the 30th of every month is not her birthday, I think she is slowly starting to regroup.  This is not even mentioning that first day back to school......not smooth sailing for either one of us!

I am sure many parents with younger children experience this transition back into "normalcy" after the holiday season  as a bit challenging.  And although it is a bit difficult, I am not complaining.  As I was telling Lucy this week, the special and the memorable would not be just that, if they happened all the time.  Their uniqueness  is part of what makes them special.  And even though there is always a let down when the events of December are over, I am thinking all this really means is that things must have been pretty great.  

And they were.


Music is such a special part of who Lucy is.   It has been since the first day we met her.  And the Christmas season, with all its wonderful music, did not disappoint when it came to moving and entertaining our girl:
  


Something extra special was getting to attend Lindsay's senior Christmas concert.   These teenagers were fantastic!  What a moving thing to see young people, filled with the spirit of the season, all the while using their God-given gifts.   Bravo Lindsay Lou!


Happy--and proud-- girl....with her Daddy, after her Christmas "recital" for him:


Of course, Elf on the Shelf was a big part of our season.  In what house -with children-was he not? Lucy named our elf  "Happy." That sounds just about right, considering how much joy he brought her.


We were at my Dad's house in Carmel for all the Christmas festivities........



My sister has been so good about carrying on a tradition that my Mom had for us:  one gift for opening on Christmas Eve.......
 

And always...new PJ's, to wear to bed on Christmas Eve.  So special.   Thank you Aunt Lisa!


Not that I am a big fan of this pic below (Lindsay snapped it of me), but someone commented that I looked like my Mom.  I have never thought I looked like her, but in this picture.... I kind of see it.  Maybe because I am cooking in her kitchen, the way she used to always do?  Maybe because I am not thrilled about getting my picture taken, just like her?  Maybe something about how I am holding my face, a familiar look of hers?  Whatever the case, I embrace it--Lucy's bow in my hair and all!  Thanks Lindsay Lou!


Christmas morning, looking through her loot in her stocking......


Lindsay reading her the letter Santa left .  This was after Lucy looked out on the front porch to see if the reindeer ate all the food she put out for them! 

There is something so precious about these moments.



Vincent wrote Lucy a nice little note for Christmas.  Here he is reading it to her...


This picture cracks me up.  I got Brian this pail for Christmas--to dispose of ashes from the fire place in a safe way (in other words, not throwing them out in the woods, but that is a story for another day).  Somehow it turned into how Lucy can fit in the thing, to videotaping "Merry Christmas" messages to  our families, from "Lucy in a Bucket" :


  
My favorite picture of the season, hands down.  After she had opened up the gift of the book (above) from Papa :
 

Blowing out Baby Jesus birthday candle....


Back home, after Christmas, starting to play with some of her new loot......


A new scooter..... Happy Girl for sure!


Lucy is in a big Legos phase.  She sits at the table for hours assembling these kits......


No, the helmet is not new.  But by the way she kept wearing it around the house, you would have thought it was!  Here she was posing with our favorite neighborhood cat, Precious.  After she took the helmet off she said to me : "my hair is probably disheveled right now."  I was cracking up!


And now, onto the birthday girl festivities.  Let me introduce you to our new 6 year old:   Lucy/"Elsa"!


A long time ago she told me that she wanted a Frozen birthday party.  (Imagine that!  Her and every other young girl!)  We are team Elsa in this household, so naturally I had to buy her an Elsa braid to fit the theme!  I could not resist!  When she saw it sitting on the table the morning of her birthday you would have thought she just received a million dollars!


Here she is right after getting on one of her princess dresses for her party... Coming down the stairs and curtsying:


The full ensemble, shoes and all!



Thanks to the popularity of Frozen, along with the wonder of Pinterest, there were many good ideas for the party: Sven's Snack Mix, Frozen Hearts, Elsa's Edibles, Olaf's Noses, Frozen Punch......


 and a hot chocolate bar to.......



Her BFF Abby drew her this picture of Elsa for her birthday card:



This picture is so sweet..... Young girls whispering secrets.  And at such a special time.  I love it!!!!


I can't believe she is 6!   Stop---Time----Stop!!!



One extra special treat was Brian's sister's family coming to celebrate Lucy's birthday.  Lucy was in heaven having Aunt Maureen, Uncle Mark and cousins Connor and Claire here!   So glad they made the trip!  It was a wonderful visit.


And so to end as I began:  our hearts are full.  

We feel so blessed to have had five wonderful years with our sweet daughter, and to have just welcomed in her sixth year of life.  And we feel equally blessed to have been surrounded by family and friends for all the special events of December.  Thank you, sweet Jesus, for the gift of your birth, and for the gift of Lucy's birth and her life.   We are eternally grateful.

Happy 2015------helmet and all!!

No comments: