Friday, February 27, 2015

February Traditions


There is something to be said about traditions.  I can think back on my own family of origin, and all the things my parents did for me growing up to provide that unique joy and comfort that tradition brings.   One of those traditions was the celebrating of birthdays , and the happiness that came from that one day of the year that was marked as extra special , and just for you.

For years now, Brian's sister Bridget has been coming from NY to celebrate her and Brian's birthdays with us.  They are 2 days (and 5 years!) apart.   I am not sure how long this tradition has been going on, but I have to say, I treasure it.......


Despite the biting cold, snowy weather.....


We didn't let it rain on our birthday party parade.  What do they say, "when life hands you lemons, make lemonades?"  Well, that is just what we did........








Or maybe in our case, a better way to put it:  "When life hands you six inches of snow, make a snowman!"




As you can tell , Lucy seemed to be a bit fascinated with eating and licking the snow.......



We named our snowman "Chief." 


There was lots of snuggling and hanging out by the fire......


And nicknaming people who haven't combed their hair all day "cockatoo"  (can you guess who?).......


And letting Lucy snap a few pics with the camera......


And making special birthday wishes......

Bridget got Bri the Superman shirt for his birthday.  I would say that is just about right.
And being entertained by these two birds who hung out with us all weekend , running into our windows......


We affectionately named them "Beeker" (the female) :


And "Pecker" (the male) :

 

But inevitably, there came that time when Bridget had to depart , and Lucy had to go back to school (after 10 days off!).   All good things must come to an end , I guess.


But the memories of good times shared will always last.  Thanks for coming B, and keeping this tradition alive and well. 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

You have such a beautiful family. Really, I adore your family.

And the picture of Lucy licking the snowman? I got the exact same photo of Meadow just yesterday. So cute!