Tuesday, May 17, 2011

New Life




These are our new garden boxes.  Aren’t they lovely?  All the credit goes to Brian.  He has wanted to plant a garden for years, and finally- here it is!   For several months he has been reading books, building these raised beds, mixing the soil… And then, on Mother's Day weekend, off to the nursery we went (my contribution to the project)! Thanks to the wonderful ladies in my Mom’s group, we were able to use the generous gift card they gave me after my Mom died to buy the plants.  And now, there is lots of new life starting to grow in our backyard:  tomatoes, zucchini, squash, strawberries, basil, peppers, onions, lettuce, spinach...  So, this is how I spent Mother’s Day- busy planting and honoring life.  I think my Mom would have liked this. 



One other helpful thing happened on Mother's Day:   Our ladybug showed up again.  Lucy was out on her swing in the backyard, and there she landed.  Maybe it sounds far-fetched to keep looking for meaning in this, but honestly, we have not seen one since my last post on April 3.  And we have been looking! What better day is there for my Mom to remind me she is still with us, than on Mother’s day?  Brian smiled as soon as he saw our little red friend, and then said “Happy Mother’s Day, Marcy.” 

 
Our friends Johanna and Ross, and their two girls Lily Kate and Ella, recently came for a weekend visit.  We caught a break from the monsoon-like weather we have been having, and had a wonderful night under the stars, roasting marsh-mellows by the fire. The girls love each other and had a wonderful time playing together.  

 
We also had a nice outing to the annual butterfly show at the Krohn Conservatory with my friend Tammy, and her sweet daughter Abby.  Lucy wasn’t quite sure what to think of all those butterflies flying around and landing on her, but it was an adventure she won’t soon forget!



Happy Mother's Day Mom!


1 comment:

Vince said...

Lucy looks like she is having a great time!