Monday, December 12, 2011

Forever Family Day



It was on December 6th, two years ago, that we met Lucy for the first time.  We see this as our “birth” day for Lucy, so we try to honor it every year by doing something special.  This year we headed to Build-a-Bear to let Lucy create her own little something to treasure. 

Behold "Tabby:"

Getting her ready for her "bath"

wash, wash...

Giving her new friend a "nose bup"

 and picking out her new outfit!
It was a great time, although Brian was a little worried that teaching Lucy to “have fun at the mall” may not be setting the best of precedents. (For those who know Brian, I know, I was laughing too.)

It just so happened that this year, our special day also fell on St. Nicholas’ feast day. So in keeping with family tradition, Lucy put her shoes outside of her door, in hopes of receiving some treats from jolly ole St. Nick.  It took her about 20 minutes to decide just what shoes to pick (and she doesn't have that many)!


It brought back such fond memories of my childhood, and gave me a renewed sense of gratitude for all the traditions I grew up with.


The day was complete with one final grace that I received.  My dear friend Mary sent me quite an email.  It just so happens that she has kept a lot of her email correspondence over the years.  This was an email that she dug up from my Mom;  my Mom had sent it to Mary the day we met Lucy for the first time, December 6th, 2009:

Mary, wasn't that blog just fantastic today? We had been checking for several hours  before they posted.  Lisa and Lindsay went to 9:30 Mass and called immediately after to see if Lucy was here yet! They had been checking before they left for church too!  Now we can't wait to see more pictures and meet her in person.  We are having a great day...hope you are too!  Blessings. Marcy 

Who knew this system of saving emails that Mary has would bring such a gift to someone like myself…two years later.  It was like my Mom was talking to me, letting me know she was celebrating our special day with us. What a blessing…. Thank you Mary.

Lucy opening a Christmas gift from Mary...new jammies!



No comments: