Monday, December 19, 2011

The Joys of the Season


Life continues to take its twists and turns, as it always does.  During a time when it may be easy to focus on absence and sadness, I am trying to remember to focus on that which is positive and the continued graces that our family is blessed with.  And there are many special things that have been happening to remind us of how blessed we truly are. 

Our neighbor Barb made this gingerbread house for Lucy. I couldn't help but think that this act of nurturing and thoughtfulness and giving--through food--- is something my Mom would have done for Lucy during this time of year.  And since my Mom is not here, she made sure someone else did it for her.

"I really get to eat this?"
"Here I go!"

Look at the excitement in her face!
It was so fun to watch Lucy enjoy this treat.

Then there was this little something that arrived at my door:


Are you noticing a theme here with food?  (My mom wouldn't have it any other way!) This was from the caring people at my church, remembering me at the holidays.  At the top of this beautiful arrangement of home baked goodies was a pizzelle.  This is a delicious Italian cookie that my Grandma Buzzelli made throughout her life, until she was no longer capable.  I grew up loving these!  This gesture, and the personal connection at the top of these cookies, was food for my spirit.

Lucy at "Breakfast in Bethlehem" (at church)

In keeping with one topic from my last blog post, and as a result of my last blog post, I have received several other emails 'from my Mom'  (via her friends). These are emails that my Mom wrote to them around this same time last year.   It is so hard to explain how reading my Mom's words like this for the first time felt.  She is showering me with her presence.  

Finally, we had a wonderful dinner and evening of fellowship with my former cross country coach from college, and his wife, Penny.  (They had not met Lucy yet.) I attribute much of my commitment to health (through exercise) to my Coach, as he provided so much support and encouragement throughout my college years. My friend Molly (who also ran cross country) stopped over for a surprise, along with her husband Damon and their four children.  The evening was a gentle reminder of how blessed I have been by the people God has put into my life.  And plus...I think Lucy might have found herself a new boyfriend in Molly's youngest son, Charlie! 



I choose to think that all of these special occurrences are not coincidences but more graces sent from above, to provide nurturing and comfort during this time.

I thank our Creator for His love and Divine Intervention.   

May the spirit of Christmas, and all the wonder it has to offer, be with you during this time.

No comments: