Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Firsts and Lasts


                    I know I have written about it before.  Lucy and change.  Lucy and transitions.  Lucy and endings.   And how it doesn’t take a lot of analysis, just knowing the basics of her past, to understand why she struggles with these things.  Her history is complicated.  Her experience is different.

                    So it is no surprise, that at this time of year with many things coming to an end, our girl has had some difficulty.  Don’t get me wrong, she has enjoyed many of the celebrations. But inevitably, when they come to a close, tears are shed (and not just by her, might I add). 

               One of my realizations in all of this is that with Lucy being our only child, many of her firsts are also our lasts.  Never again will I see a child of mine sitting in their pre-school classroom, with all their little friends, waiting patiently for their mamas to come pick them up. Never again will a child of mine go through a pre-school graduation. The list goes on and on... (I have been tormenting myself with this type of thinking.)

              Yes, it is true. I get sentimental and emotional too.  And endings are difficult for me too. The similarities between Lucy and I are not lost on me.  I know there is no coincidence here, but rather God’s divine plan in giving me a child whose disposition is in many ways like my own.  In this way, I understand her....all too well.  

              As a dear friend once taught me: as long as I stay one step ahead of her on this stuff, I think we’ll be okay.  After her graduation, one may have questioned if I was a step ahead... or had things under control at all!  But thank God-- today is a new day, and all is well. 

Lucy's end-of-the-year school picnic: 
One of her buddies, Lily.
The drizzly weather didn't deter these kids.



If Lucy could live on a swing, she would.


If I had to guess, she is directing Lily in what to do here.
Lucy with her two BFF's from pre-school, Sophia and Karli, and her best teacher ever:  Mrs. Morgan.
 Graduation Night:





We looove her teachers, Mrs Metcalf and Mrs Morgan.


 End-of-the-year Dance Recital


Yes, she was as nervous as she looks here.

But she slowly started "waking" up....


and eventually enjoyed herself!





As a "stage mom," I got to stay with the girls in between acts, and witnessed this cute moment.



Lucy and Abby.  A job well done!
Thanks to Lisa and Lindsay for coming and celebrating with Lucy in her end of the year recital.  We had a great weekend together!







We love our little graduate and ballerina!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A HUGE congratulations to both you and sweet Lucy!

This is beautifully written. . .

Thank you. . .