Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Listening and Learning


Recently, Lucy and I went to visit our friend and her newborn son, Caleb.  I was talking to Lucy about how baby’s sleep a lot, and that when she was a baby, she slept a lot.  She followed this statement with “In China, sleep a lot.”  I thought it was interesting that she put these two things together:  that she was in China when she was a baby.  She then continued talking about being “in Mama’s belly.”   (We had been talking days earlier about how she grew in her birth mom’s belly.)   This conversation taught me a few things:  Lucy listens intently, she puts things together, she remembers a lot, she understands more than we give her credit for, she is interested in her history.  

If we listen, no matter what age, our children can teach us lots.


And while talking about learning from others, I must mention my Dad.  He is a testimony to the power of positive thinking. Recently we celebrated his birthday.   He explained to me that he woke on the morning of his special day and  told himself that he was going to be happy… a remarkable plan, considering it also marked what would have been the day of his 45th wedding anniversary to my Mom.   I give my Dad a gigantic A+ for achieving his goal.  Thank you, Dad, for having such positive energy and heartfelt happiness on your birthday.  You reminded me of the importance of striving to be better, and the great influence that positive thinking can bring.  You also made me happy. 


If we listen, no matter what age, our parents can teach us lots.



Happy Birthday Dad
Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad

No comments: